Monday, December 20, 2010

Out and About

I will try to give a photographic tour of these parts, to give you a sense of what it is like. In no particular order:



When Linda first took me shopping, I was amazed at the price of packaged convenience foods - $1299 Kwatchas for a box of Pillsbury baking mix - $889 kwatchas. $3500 kwatchas equals about $20 - and a $500 kwatcha is the highest denomination bill. Consequently, I feel quite rich, with a big wad of bills! Almost all the packaged food comes from South Africa. Very little is produced here in Malawi.


In comparison, the above picture is one of many roadside stores that you pass as you drive from Nancy's home in the country, to Lilongwe. Prices here are quite reasonable, but selection is limited. I've seen mangoes, bananas, cooking oil, chunks of fresh meat hanging, roasted corn - the basics of rural life.


It never ceases to amaze me the size of the cargo that bicyclists are burdened down with here. Bikes are an integral tool for commerce, and owning one is a real privilege for many. The other day, I watched a man whose load was so huge, that it tipped the bike upside down, with the front wheel high in the air! Unfortunately, a lot of the bike riders seem oblivious to the danger of other vehicles.

On Friday, returning from work after a rainstorm, we watched as a young man fell off his bike, directly into our path. Nancy swerved and avoided hitting him - barely - fortunately the other lane was empty!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Roseanne! Keep up the GREAT blogging, your stories are very enjoyable to read and to stay in contact with you! And I know A LOT of people here are reading the blog as well.

    And also know...Kyle asked me the other day "Mom, how is Roseanne doing in Africa? You know the nice lady from the spagetti dinner."
    So you will forever by linked to spagetti in his heart!

    So for the next blog, give it up...what is the most unique thing you have eaten so far? And what have you eaten that reminder you the most of home?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha - so Scott and Rebecca's kids think of me as the pizza delivery woman and Kyle thinks of me as the spaghetti lady. Nice!

    ReplyDelete