Monday, December 27, 2010

Off to the Lake

The Lake, in this case, is Lake Malawi - and I have heard that it is quite majestic. Interesting facts about Lake Malawi:
  1. It is the second deepest lake in Africa.
  2. It is home to more species of fish than any other body of water on Earth; many are cichlids.
  3. I have personally eaten one species of Lake Malawi so far - a dish which included banana and garlic, as well as Some Kind of \Unspecified Lake Fish.
  4. David Livingston, I presume, was the first European to discover this lake, in 1859, and named it Lake Nyasa.
  5. Lake Malawi is also home to snails which carry a parasite called bilharzia. You can read more about it here. Having already provided a home for more parasites than I care to think of, I am hoping that it is not so hot that I have to break down and swim. The idea of tiny male and female parasites setting up shop in my liver and engaging in an endless series of carnal "free love" sessions, is enough to put me off swimming. There is a one shot medication, but just knowing that my liver is, even temporarily, a breeding ground for bilharzia babies, freaks me out. At least this is one pest I can avoid.
I expect to be incommunicado during the days I am at the lake - until Saturday. Hopefully I will come back rejuvenated, not infected, and with lots of pictures!

No comments:

Post a Comment