Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Brand is King!

On Saturday, Linda and I went in search of a SIM card for my iphone – I have since realized that I am going to have to cut one myself, as no one here carries the micro sims. The alternative is a nearby wifi signal, which is adequate, but not strong enough to reach the house. Yesterday, I connected outside the compound, sitting on a small ledge – until a platoon of tiny ants invaded me – I looked down and realized they had breached my arms, legs, etc. Although they weren’t biting me, I didn’t like knowing they were crawling around. I’m also told that large cockroaches sometimes show up inside the house, and silverfish. I did see one cockroach, but I stayed clear of its path.
We also stopped to look at some of the local artisans who sell a variety of carved wooden pieces – this is the art that Malawi is known for. Unfortunately, the sellers way outnumber the tourists – I saw probably 15 men with their wares spread out on blankets, and from what I could tell, I was the only potential buyer. Sensing a potential and naïve customer, everyone was eager to sell to me – at exhorbitant ”first timer” rates, according to Linda. “We will negotiate – for you, a friend of Linda’s.” The command of English is impressive, although not surprising when you consider how saturated Africa is with North American culture. It bothers me to see, so far from home, tokens of North America – like magazines featuring the stars from Twilight! It is clear to me that Brand is King, and that companies like Pepsi, Cadbury and Carlsberg, haven’t missed out on an opportunity to move into this market. Unfortunately, most of the people can’t afford to buy these products.
I am left wondering how different my experience would be if I were out in the rural areas, rather than the urban setting. It seems to me that the social fabric of Malawi village life has been ripped asunder by the City – leaving people who yearned for a better life, to live in poverty and hopelessness. There are parts of the city which would break your heart – and only a few miles away, a gigantic, brand-new government building! And some pretty impressive banks, too, although I expect they serve a small percentage of Lilongwe’s residents.

No comments:

Post a Comment