Thursday, January 27, 2011

Out of Africa

Hard to imagine that I am leaving for home today – for a trip that at times seemed endless, now that the end is actually here, I am surprised. This has seemed like an interruption of my “normal” life, and yet, at the same time, after a while, living here felt normal. I will miss Africa, the people I met here, the new friends, and my students, who energized and inspired me with their determination to learn. I will also miss the time that I had to experience the culture, and sometimes, just to enjoy the peace of unallocated time.
As part of my exit interview, Linda asked me this question: “What did you learn about yourself, other people, and about other cultures.” I assured her, last night over dinner that I would try to condense my response, currently a four page document. It’s funny, considering that I was here to teach, I ended up learning so much!
I wonder what my last memory of Africa will be, before it all becomes a memory?

No comments:

Post a Comment