Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Off to Mozambique

I am heading out of Lilongwe today, with Linda and Miriam. We’re going to a pottery store in Denza. I am hoping to purchase a clay pot, similar to the one that Nancy used for making some delicious stove-top stews. Afterwards, they will drop me off on the Malawi side of the border. I will then walk across to Mozambique, brandishing my $60 VISA and a wallet full of Mozambique cash. If all goes according to plan, two of my soon-to-be students will pick me up and drive me to a place called Tete, which is about an hour away from the border. I’ll be living in a home there, for two weeks. The home was originally built for and is owned by a Dutch woman, who has since returned home, and only comes back to Mozambique periodically. Obviously a generous soul, she makes the home available to ex-pat volunteers.
I’m a little nervous about this two week training stint, as my missionary friends won’t be there, and I’m told that few of the people will be able to speak English. Mozambique was a Portuguese colony, so in addition to the native language, a lot of people speak Portuguese. Aside from one particularly offensive phrase which I learned during high school at Chatham Collegiate Institute, I am entirely non-conversant in Portuguese.
I am not sure what my Internet connection will be like – although I’m pretty sure it will not be up to the standards of Lilongwe. I will try to write as time and connectivity permit!

No comments:

Post a Comment