Sunday, January 9, 2011

Arachnophobia

Arachnophobia
January 5 - I have had time for two terrible insect encounters tonight.
First, I saw something that I thought was a large spider, which I was about to catch under a glass for live release tomorrow morning. Then it hopped! A few times! Rather high and erratically! And I lost track of where it was. Was it even a spider, or some other kind of large insect? Shortly afterwards, I heard another clicking sound. I think it hopped again, but I didn’t know where! How terrible! Enough is enough – I decided to remove the kid gloves and forsake the live release method. I vowed, if it ventured anywhere near me, I would be dosing it with Raid. Unlike my intrepid missionary friend, Linda, I don’t have the internal fortitude to squish insects underfoot. But this one had to die – I couldn’t stand knowing it was in the house with me.
 Come out into the open, horrible scary insect – so I can kill you!
Then, about an hour later, I encountered another large spider – or possibly the same one as was hopping in the kitchen earlier – although this one was on the living room curtain. If it’s the same one, I shudder to think of how it crossed from kitchen to living room without being seen, as I was sitting in the junction between them – and the entire open space is probably no more than 36 feet wide!
To give you an idea of the spider’s massiveness and presence – you can hear a sound when it scuttles up the curtain - footsteps. It would be arrested if it parked itself in a Handicapped Parking space. It has limbs and if I moved close enough, and mustered up some courage, I suspect I could take its pulse and feel its breath. If this spider needed formal wear, a tailor would need a large tape measure to figure out how much material to buy. Get it – it’s BIG!!!
True to my word, I doused the giant spider with a multiple sprays of Raid – which appear to have been entirely ineffective, as it is, as far as I can ascertain, still alive! I never did hear the thud of its body slipping from the curtain to the floor.
I even tried to capture it in a drinking glass, thinking the Raid might at least have weakened it, but it just shuffled quickly away down the curtain, at which point I was afraid of a possible hand to hand combat encounter and backed off. All the GoodLife Fitness BodyCombat classes in the world couldn’t have prepared me enough for that!
 I am now eying it from a safer distance – as well as a third spider - a medium-sized relative which is scurrying about on the floor near the bedroom. I suspect I could capture or spray the smaller one, but I am too defeated to even try. How many times have I thanked God for Lisa Anderson’s mosquito net, which is also a sanctuary from spiders? How could I sleep without it, wondering if spiders were dropping onto me from the ceiling? Bless you, Lisa!
Unless – what if the big one comes at the net with a pair of scissors, or even rips it open with its bare hands, which, judging from its size and dexterity, is a possibility.
Do spiders have hands?
What if I wake up in the morning, like Frodo Baggins, encased in spider webbing?
Yikes two more spiders, one quite small, and another medium-small! I’m going to retreat to my cocoon and finish writing in there, where I have to believe it is safe.
 I made a small videotape of me confronting the failure-to-die spider, for future reference or, should my circumstances take a bad turn , it will be my legacy, a final testimony.
Ha – upon climbing through the net, into bed, in the soft glow of my flashlight – I see movement. Turns out it’s a lizard! I don’t mind lizards – maybe it will eat some spiders. At any rate, even spiders are easier to deal with in the morning.

1 comment:

  1. I'm with ya girl! lizards are good, spiders are BAD! It all boils down to the number of legs! anything greater than 4 needs to die, and anything more than 8, well, they should just be forced to become extinct! foget the live release crap....in my world...it's all about me and existing with only 2 or 4 legged creatures.

    ReplyDelete