Thursday, November 4, 2010

Twenty-six Days and Counting!

According to my online counter, there are now only twenty-six days before I part ways with North America, and fly over to Malawi, Africa. That also means that I am in the thick of preparations. For those of you who are wondering what those preparations entail, here's a peek:

1. Immunizations: These were actually less intense than I expected, perhaps because I didn't have to get the Yellow Fever shot, which has a small mortality rate for older people. I sailed through my Hep A and B, typhoid, tetanus and flu shot with nary a headache or fever. Tonight, I had my first of two doses of anti-cholera and traveller's diahrrea medication, which is stirred into 5 ounces of tepid water, and ends up tasting vaguely like slightly chlorinated pool water with an undertone of raspberry. In two weeks, I will take my first dose of anti-malaria medication - which is called mefloquine. Its claim to fame is that it can induce vivid dreams in about 25% of the population - and can apparently trigger a psychotic break for those who are already on the tipping point. When I expressed my concerns about having my psychotic break while away from home, the travel doc upped the prescription, so I take it two weeks before I leave, to determine if I will be afflicted with side effects. But I'm paranoid about getting malaria and being crossed-off the blood donor list forever. Still, I'm not so sure that I want to be experiencing wacko dreams when I'm not in the safety of my own bedroom.

2. Reading: The Service Link organizers (associated with my Christian Reformed Church denomination, and hence responsible for this volunteer opportunity) provided me with a couple of books on short-term missions and the differences between "hot" and "cold" cultures.

3. Shopping: I now own two water filters - one for particulates and one which will zap viruses and other eensy-weensy organisms, the ones which are so miniscule, that they would slip right through a filter. The zapping is accomplished with ultraviolet light - similar to letting water sit in the sun for 12 hours. Ultraviolet is apparently a very effective and inexpensive way to purify water.

Having been the unhappy victim of giardia lamblia (aka "beaver fever") during my Whitefish Bay days, and experiencing first-hand the unpleasantness of shigella (which my son Brandon had during his late babyhood), I am taking no chances when it comes to water purification!

I also bought a headlamp, as Malawi is known to have frequent power failures - at least I won't be bumping into any walls if that happens! And I now own a small Swiss Army jackknife, with a myriad of small tools, most of which are almost impossible to release without significant damage to the index finger nail.

Here's a photo of some of my Malawi-intended merchandise - note the green spork, which is not itemized above, but is, none-the-less, a treasured part of my travelling ensemble.



4. Questioning: I have been in contact with the two missionaries and some of the locals, with whom I will be working, asking them urgent questions like, "How do I get from the airport to wherever I am staying?" and "Should I bring a bike along?"

Someone will be at the airport holding a paper with my name on it - and no bike required, as apparently the roads are small, narrow and heavily trafficked.

5. Accounting: This has been the most arduous aspect of my preparation - spending hours trying to understand why Assets = Liabilities + Equity, how to journal depreciation and the purpose of the Income Summary account. I have now written two tests, and gained an appreciation for "closing the books" which I am adopting as a metaphor for 2010. I'm also trying to learn QuickBooks, as there's some accountants in Malawi who I will be teaching. Since I failed Accounting two years ago, it seemed expedient to take another run at it, as preparation for QuickBooks. Those who can, do, those who can't, teach. I may never be an accountant, but by golly, I should be able to teach 'em!

6. Fundraising: An important part of a mission trip is enlisting support from other people, financial, moral and prayer. This is also a difficult aspect for me. Luckily, I have a group of friends who have been very helpful. We're holding a Pasta Dinner with African desserts and coffee on November 27th, with a Christmas Baking Tray auction to follow. And I'm going to make a Gingerbread Church, modelled on the Grace CRC building. I went to a Pasta sampling luncheon at Kathy Vandersluis's home on Wednesday, and enjoyed sampling her vegetarian penne, as well as Alice VanStempvoort's meaty-tomatoey pasta. Neither of the dishes resembled in taste or texture, the typical pasta I have had at Pasta dinners in the past - which is a good thing!

7. Prayer and Worry: I do both, probably the latter more than the former. I'm not sure what I'm worried about, possibly just the whole idea of going to a place where I don't know anyone, and having to get along. As an introvert, the idea of being in a place with crowds of people, is kind of unnerving. I've also done some reading about pickpockets, and added that to my list of worries. (One online site warned me that travellers have been murdered for their jewelery, so I've decided to leave my Timex at home.) Oh, and apparently contracting rabies is one of the worst ways to die, as I read in my Malawi Bradt guidebook.

I tread lightly in the prayer department, as I suspect it was prayer that got me into this Malawi trip in the first place! [Note to self - the next time you pray for a character rehaul - be more specific about the change methodology!]

1 comment:

  1. Hey Rosy...enjoyed reading about your preparations. Not sure how I can support you in your mission work, so will volunteer to be a prayer partner. I will pray for you to feel the presence of God as you travel to and work with the people of Malawi. I also will pray for you to have a peaceful heart and of course for your safety. I will check in to follow your adventure. Love ya...Maury

    ReplyDelete